You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Aryianna

[+1] [-1]

Subject: Christian and Scientist
***warning: long reading. may cause drowsiness***

This post is a response to the responses.

I am a Christian and a scientist, but I am not a Christian Scientist, as that is a different religion and not completely Christian.

So, hopefully, I haven't tongue twisted you yet.

During my academic years, I believed in God to some degree and occasionally bordered on agnosticism, but was not a Christian. I studied Physics as an undergraduate and specialized in Astrophysics. During my studies, I was privileged to have as my professor Dr. Joseph Silk, the author of the book The Big Bang and an expert on the subject. In addition, I had the honor of meeting another well known researcher, Dr. Amos Ori, who specializes in General Relativity and its applications, such as time travel and personally explained to me his theory. It was these areas of Astrophysics that really grabbed my attention.

To make a very long story short, the deeper I studied Astrophysics, the more I saw such incredible and awestriking beauty, order, symmetry and perfection in the equations and expressions that describe our universe that it seemed so impossible that our world (or other worlds) could have been created by mere chance or random only. There was too much order! Not only that, but try looking through a high powered telescope in the deep dark sky and see with your own eyes not only one galaxy but several galaxies, then clusters of galaxies! Then think about yourself within the context of what you're viewing. You sure feel insignificant -- as small as a grain of sand, and you can't help but wonder "Who created all of this?".

So that was the beginning of my believing in a power that brought all things into existence.

What converted me from being a believer to a Christian was also Physics, to be specific, the General Theory of Relativity. It made no sense to me how a man who died 2000 years ago could actually have done all he did for those who were yet to be born (and for those who had already died before He came). How ridiculous. However, when a pastor preached that to God there are no barriers, including time -- the past, present and future are all accessible to him, there dropped my last defense, because I already knew through my studies of General Relativity that theoretically, one can time travel, and though we don't have the technogy to do so today, God does.

Sometimes I wonder if God at the time placed in my heart a passion for Astrophysics, so that through it he can reveal His truths to me and thus convince me that He does, indeed, exist.

....just a story from a scientist and a Christian.

Aryianna

Time Posted: July 8 2009 06:23 am EDT
Last updated: July 8 2009 05:53 pm EDT

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: