You can also play Dark Warriors on
Back to post list
Back a step

Ensiferum

[+1] [-1]

Subject: 25 greatest Black Metal Albums of all time
1. Burzum-Hvis lyset tar oss (1994):
Perfection, a trip into a dark world of his making, a creation to escape this time and become one with another, older one.

2. Darkthrone-Transilvanian Hunger (1994):
The creation of pure minimalism and ice cold atmosphere, in this sphere of minimal black metal the creators will always be the ones who have done it best. This is a classic for a reason for it has nothing but the pure essence of black metal.

3. Emperor-In the Nightside Eclipse (1994):
Beautiful and evil, this is their masterwork. Never again would they touch on these cosmic hymns of darkness.

4. Bathory-Under the Sign of the Black Mark (1987):
A classic, undeniably an influence on all the original bands. The guitar sound reminds me of Under a Funeral Moon, but of course Darkthrone was apeing this. You must own this.

5. Burzum-Filosofem (1996):
An Internal creation of frigid beauty, with this release Burzum transcended black metal and left a guiding mark for where the style could go, which unfortunatly none followed.

6. Bathory-Blood Fire Death (1988 ):
The beginning of totally nihilistic and epic metal, this album influenced any of the bands using acoustic guitars and created an enviroment pure and at times beautiful.

7. Ulver-Bergtatt - Et eeventyr i 5 capitler (1994):
Music for a misty day in the evergreen forests, this album has an atmosphere that is thick and amazing. The beauty and at times harshness of this album is impressive and difficult to describe. A must buy.

8. Darkthrone-Under a Funeral Moon (1993)
A classic of necro production, the ice cold grinding guitars, combined with the thin drums and distorted bass creates a dark atmosphere of death and winter. Combined with the evil reverb drenched vocals, and you have a powerful creation that no clone band will ever be able to top.

9. Graveland-Thousand Swords (1995)
A classic epic release. Creation of simple sounds composed together to form a whole that is impossibly atmospheric.

10. Borknagar-Borknagar (1996)
Harsh and cold, yet amazingly epic. Takes me to another world as soon as I hit play.

11. Drudkh-Forgotten Legends (2003):
The creation of a natural pure atmosphere over 3 long songs. This album is a modern classic, creating a similar mood as the older bands on this list.

12. Summoning-Dol Guldur (1996):
Epic music that crafts an atmosphere of ancient days and a longing for another older world. Perfection in form and classical in composition. This is essential.

13.Graveland-Carpathian Wolves (1994):
Evil yet atmospherically pagan, this is a classic release that all need to own.

14. Nokturnal Mortum-Goat Horns (1998 ):
Epic lunar atmospheres. Brings to mind memories of an ancient time.

15. Mayhem-De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (1994):
A classic of pure refined black metal, this is unlike anything else. Highly suggested, and I like the vocals of Attila a lot, his dark unhuman approach was perfect for the material, perhaps dare I say, even more so then Dead's, showing a more subtle approach.

16. Forest-Like a Blaze Above the Ashes (2004):
Originally released in 1998, this album crafts a dark forest atmosphere that is close to being perfect to me. Rates right up there with other classics in black metal.

17.Nargaroth-Herbstleyd (1999):
Amazing atmospheres of medieval darkness, from track 4 to 7 is some of the best black metal I've heard.

18. Nyktalgia-Nyktalgia (2004):
Beautiful and sorrowful, yet not suicidal, this is a album that will go down in history I'm sure.

19. Nargaroth-Geliebte des Regens (2003):
Sorrow filled minimalistic black metal. Certainly won't appeal to everyone.

20. Dimmu Borgir-Stormblċst (1996):
Crafts a dark beautiful atmosphere suffused with sorrow and longing.

21. Hellveto-Klatwa (2005)
A newer band, yet creates dark pagan atmospheres just as well as Graveland.

22. Mütiilation-Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul (1999):
Dark nihilistic atmospheres. A crushing deadly feeling throughout. Highly suggested.

23. Black Funeral-Vampyr - Throne of the Beast (1995):
Dark evil and pure, this is probably the best USBM release yet, as it creates a dark witchcraft filled world as well as any European band.

24. Xasthur-The Funeral of Being (2003):
One of the only "suicide" black metal bands I listen to, this release is probably his best, creating a dark melancholic atmosphere that is easy to get lost within.

25.Immortal-Pure Holocaust (1993):
A pure blizzard of black metal, with plenty of melody, but certainly does not let that get in the way of crafting fast evil music. An experience all into black metal should attempt.

And an honerable mention, the album that invented Black Metal, and the Band that Inspired Generations of metal Heads:

Venom-Black Metal

the album that made this all possible

Time Posted: July 29 2010 03:40 am EDT
Last updated: July 31 2010 06:26 am EDT

Replies:

Add reply:
Subject:
Body: